Featured Posts

Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Oscar goes to ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ wins 8 Oscars


And the Oscars popular award of Best Motion Picture of the Year goes to "Slumdog Millionaire". ‘Slumdog Millionaire' swept the 81st Academy Awards by winning 8 major awards including Best Picture, Best Direction, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score and Best Original Song.

Christian Colson said on the acceptance speech, "As you can see, our film was a collaboration of hundreds of people and I'm glad that so many of them could make it here tonight." "Slumdog" had virtually no money but a story that inspired "mad love" and a genius director.

Indian music maestro A R Rahman won two awards for Best Original Score for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and Best Original Song for ‘Jai Ho’ along side Gulzar also for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. Rahman nominated for three awards in total. 36-year-old Resul Pookutty created history by becoming the first Indian to bag the Oscar for Best Sound mixing. Pookutty shared the Oscar with Ian Tapp and Richard Pryke for their collaborative work for the film

“I want to thank everyone. The essence of the film is optimism and hope. All through my life I had the choice of love and hate…I chose love and I am here,” an elated Rahman said.

AR Rehman’s speech:
I am excited. There is a dialogue in Hindi film - ‘mere pass maa hain’. Which means that I have nothing, but my mother. My mother is here. Her blessings are with me. God is Great”

AR Rehman’s speech about Jai Ho song:
This song belongs to the people of Mumbai. This song is about optimism and power of hope. We have a choice to choose hate or love. I choose love.

‘Slumdog Millionaire’ Oscars:

1. Best Picture: ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. “It has been collaboration between hundreds of people. All of us are here to share this moment. This was an extraordinary journey,” says the Slumdog... team.

2. Best Direction: Danny Boyle for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’

3. Best Original Song: A R Rahman for ‘Jai Ho...’ (Slumdog Millionarie)

The Indian music maestro, Rahman wooed the audience with ‘O Saya’ and ‘Jai Ho...’ the nominated songs from ‘Slumdog...’, as the nominees for Best Original Song were being announced.

4. Best Original Score: A R Rahman for Slumdog Millionaire . “I have nothing but my mother and she is there with me. I thank her for making me coming all this way with her blessings,” said a proud Rahman.

5. Best Film Editing: Chris Dickens for Slumdog Millionaire

6. Best Sound Mixing: Ian Tapp, Resul Pookutty, Richard Pryke for Slumdog Millionaire. “This is just not a sound award, but a history being handed over,” said Indian receiver Pookutty.

7. Best Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle for Slumdog Millionaire

8. Best Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy for Slumdog Millionaire. “The cast and crew of the film told me so much about India and writing,” said a proud Beaufoy.

In a great night for Britain, Kate Winslet won the best actress Oscar for The Reader, finally clinching the award on her sixth nomination.

The big surprise of the night was Sean Penn, winning best actor for his role as gay rights activist Harvey Milk.

Heath Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for supporting actor for The Dark Knight.


In total

Slumdog Millionaire - 8
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 3
Milk - 2
The Dark Knight – 2







Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "And the Oscar goes to ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ wins 8 Oscars"

Post a Comment